Aim: To explore different Christian approaches to Sunday.
WHICH OF THESE THINGS would you NOT do on a Sunday? Why not?
1. Watch television. Does your answer include “Songs of Praise”?
2. Go out to a restaurant for a main meal.
3. Buy and read a Sunday Newspaper.
4. Travel a long distance. (Is your answer affected by the means of transport you take, or by the purpose of the journey?)
5. Buy something from a DIY shop or a Garden Centre.
6. Visit a Cathedral and buy a Bible from the bookshop.
7. Watch a football match / theatre play / pop concert / Christian concert or play (delete whichever doesn’t apply !).
8. Do housework / washing / ironing / gardening / cooking a “Sunday Lunch”.
9. Do work related to your employment / homework / an extra job to earn money.
10. Do “the Lord’s work”.
Why do Christians want to “Keep Sunday Special” anyway?
Are the passages below relevant, or not?
Acts 15:27-29 (what DOESN’T it say?)
Do these verses apply to everybody, or only to Christians as God’s covenant people?
To think about
WHY do we make the decisions we do about how we live?
What factors affect our thinking and our choices? Here are a few:-
What the Bible says:
What our church traditions say:
What our upbringing says:
What ‘‘the world’’ around says:
What other ‘‘voices’’ also influence our behaviour?
Which are the most important for our view of Sundays?